Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Coequality?

Early in my Christian upbringing I learned that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were “coequal” [as well as coeternal]. When I Googled it, I found an exquisite apology of the coequality of the three persons of the Trinity in the creed of St. Athanasius, dated 1642. There is also a statement affirming this in the preface for Trinity Sunday on page 380 of our Book of Common Prayer. And a lengthy treatise in “Christianity Revealed” on the web tries to disprove coequality, with [to me] unconvincing success. But the grumblings persist; they’ve been debated by church officials for centuries. Based on what seems the traditional opinion that they are coequal, I’m curious: why isn’t there a colon after “God” in the beginning of both the Apostles’ and the Nicene creeds? Shouldn’t they proclaim the coequality by stating [Nicene] “We believe in one God: the Father, the Almighty, etc…” instead of “We believe in one God, the Father…” and similarly in the Apostles’ “I believe in God: the Father…” Of course, if you don’t believe that they’re equal, this is nonsense. Do you? Is it important?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home