Monday, September 23, 2013

Love God?

What does it mean to “love God”? When we apply “love” to humans, one accepted definition is that we desire his/her well-being over ours. That smacks of agape [unconditional], one of C.S. Lewis’s “Four Loves,” the others being eros [romance], phileo [friendship], and storge [affection]. But how can we wish things for God when He already is so immense and has created everything? Perhaps we need to rethink what loving God means. If He’s REALLY omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent, He can hardly need anything from us, although perhaps He’d like something–our esteem, our awe? Certainly our gratitude, if nothing else. I’ve heard teachings to that effect, but they don’t ring true for me. No, I believe that our learning to love God helps us, not him. It reassures us of his specific care for each of us. That He REALLY has our backs. How, I haven’t the faintest idea. But that He does, I have no doubt! How about you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home